Sunday, August 15, 2010

Muscadine Grapes are wonderful

For those of you that don't realize it, the southeastern US is a bit too hot to grow normal varieties of grapes. Only one variety really does well, the muscadine.

Many wineries have recently popped up throughout Georgia, where they grow mainly muscadines. The flavors of the wine tend to be a little sweeter, but usually taste pretty good. I found muscadines at the Dekalb Farmer's Market a week and a half ago marked 20% off, and with some family coming in town, I thought that I would include them on the traditional fruit tray. The family liked them and I did too, so I bought another bag this week.

I made grape jam with them, and it is amazing. I decided to try a version of a recipe that uses honey instead of sugar, as I thought that these sweeter grapes should take the center stage. Here's the recipe.

Muscadine Jam with Honey, a delicious Southern Jam.

1.5 pounds of muscadine grapes, de-stemmed and de-seeded.
1.5 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 c honey (Use that tupelo honey from Georgia for a great flavor)
1 package Sure Jell for reduced sugar recipes (probably could get by with less than this)

After removing stems and seeds from muscadines, puree them with a food processor. Bring to a simmer and then add the lemon juice, honey, and a dash of salt. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Put in sterile jars and process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Now, I am not one to say this often, but I honestly believe that this is the best grape jam ever made by a human. Seriously. My wife almost never likes jam on things and after I made her try a bite, she wanted more for her own piece of bread.

1 comment:

Mini Gardens UK said...

How envious I am.
Grapes are such wonderful fruit anyway.
Especially the Italian red juicy ones.

Post a Comment