Friday, January 15, 2010

Onions and a "heat wave"


This is more like a typical Atlanta winter right now. It was almost 60F today. Gorgeous, clear skies, and it looks like the overnight lows will not drop below freezing for a few days. We're expecting rain, so with the beautiful day I decided to try to harvest a few of the onions that didn't look as great in the garden.

I planted some sweet onions and some purple onions last year. They outlined the entire growing area, as many garden pests hate the smell of onion so much they will run the other way (and except for a few pesky chipmunks, that seemed to work pretty well). A few of the red onions came back after they were harvested, and I dug those up today. If you've ever wondered what exactly is meant by the ground being frozen, I think I can sum it up...



Those are little ice crystals on the onion and in the dirt. The fall onions I planted in October haven't grown much, so I put some fertilizer on them and I'm hoping for a bit more growth before the major planting season coming up in about 2 months.

I think I'll freeze the onions I did pick, maybe use them in a cup of soup next week. We'll see.

If you want to know how to freeze onions, it is simple. Cut them into small chunks, place on tray. Put tray in the freezer. Wait a while. Put onions in freezer bags and use as needed. They are typically good for about 6 months. And hey - I might as well freeze them, they are frozen already!

I placed the order from "Garden's Alive" that I was thinking about last post. I just got it today! I received a pack of insect repellent. It looks like it will be enough for several applications. This is good because I had such a problem last year with bugs eating my squash plants. I also have packets of seeds for scallions and German Tomatoes. We'll see how I do with the scallions. I haven't had much luck with onions yet. I am looking forward to a new variety of tomatoes this year.

I think that is about all I have to say for now. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment